The overly obvious and predictable happened last night. Paul Pierce walked away with the NBA Finals MVP trophy. Of course many of you know my pick for the MVP (*Cough* Ray Allen), but also to many of you, my pick seemed completely unreasonable and bias. Hmm. Well here is my attempt to understand why Paul Pierce took home the gold after the Celtics won their 17th NBA Championship. (These will all be followed by question marks because I still need some answers.)
- He has played his entire career in a Boston uniform?
- He won 24 hours of ESPN time by using the greatest prop in recent history, a wheel chair?
- He scored 38 points in…in a losing effort?
- He shot 43% from the field while my pick shot 51%, but that’s ok because he must have been playing really solid defense?
- He went 2-14 in a game 3 loss, but that also doesn’t matter when your knee is probably hurting from game 1 and a long flight?
- Setting records for 3 pointers made in the NBA Finals is a meaningless stat?
- Hurting his knee is more of a feel good story than my pick’s child’s diabetes diagnosis?
- He has a really neat nickname that Commissioners can use to gain respect back after being booed?
And the last reason I can think of…
- Obviously Jesus has won enough praise and didn’t need an NBA Finals MVP trophy?